Stick a fork in it, Tally Hall appears to be done

Discussion about Tally Hall's music
Abby
Noob

Stick a fork in it, Tally Hall appears to be done

#1 Post by Abby »

So at this point I guess we have to accept that Joe has left the band. The band and label's reluctance to make a statement on the matter signifies that there is some internal controversy related to the next album and Joe's contributions to it.

It would certainly not be the first time that the act of signing to a major label tore apart a promising band. I remember digging a group in the mid-90s called The Rosemarys which fell to pieces as soon as they signed to a label because some members loved the idea, some hated it, and others simply didn't want to deal with the pressure associated with being a signed act.

For me personally, Tally Hall doesn't exist without Joe. He penned ALL of my favorite TH songs.

Moreover, let me admit that I wasn't impressed with Tally Hall's live tour this past spring. Yeah, I know that hurts, but it's true. I talked a load of friends into coming out to the show, and I would have felt embarrassed for doing so were it not for Jukebox the Ghost's performance. I recorded parts of the show, and all of my files sound bad, so it wasn't in my imagination. Harmonies didn't gel. Lots of sound issues. Wrong notes. The works. Hey, many of my favorite bands are better in a studio than live, so I'd forgive the poor showing were it not for the curtain of silence that has fallen upon the band ever since.

The thing that's compelling me to write here today is that I find it incredibly backwards that a band which built its momentum almost entirely on the internet has shown a complete lack of regard for its online fans. Yes, it's possible that the band's management and label have installed a gag order, and if that's true, they need to stop now. It shows that the old-school music industry doesn't "get it." You're killing the remaining members' chances of recovering from this loss.

Or maybe Tally Hall should call it a day and the members should explore new projects.

thefollower
Noob

Re: Stick a fork in it, Tally Hall appears to be done

#2 Post by thefollower »

I've no choice but to agree. It's clear that Joe has put the band on the backburner for now, whether it be for a hiatus or just pursuing different projects. I do remember reading that it seemed like the label and the band didn't have matching opinions about the album, and I think it's safe to assume that being forced to work with a major label has made things a lot more difficult for the boys.

However, I don't think that the band is splitting up, at least just yet. Although you said that the last tour was less than energetic, I wouldn't give up hope for the band (even if it were minus one Joe Hawley). About 5 months ago (or so), Coz reported that Tally Hall changed management to Stiletto Entertainment shortly after the March tour. Would this make sense if the band was planning on going their separate ways, especially just after a tour? I'm sure there's a lot of things up the in air for the band right now, and they've got to plan their next move wisely. Hopefully this upcoming show in Brooklyn shows they've made some progress or have some sort of game plan...

capnbrielle
Noob

#3 Post by capnbrielle »

I completely understand what you're saying. I've been feeling such frustration with the band, as I'm sure everyone else has been too. But I don't think it's because they're doing things differently; it's because they have refused to tell us anything. Fans deserve more than a few random messages from their "estranged" friends over at Tally Hall. How do they expect us to blindly follow them for this long when they have barely given us the time of day to explain why they fell off the face of the earth? I am a huge huge fan, but I'm reaching the point of lost faith.

Now when it comes to if they're "done", I'm inclined to agree. And the worst part is, it's as if they're apathetic toward the situation. But who knows if that's true? It's not like they're going to let us know what's going on anyway. All of the ominous signs (Joe disappearing, change of management, etc) really don't seem for the better. I can't say for certain whether or not the band is done, but I'm pretty convinced Joe is out. And for me, if Joe is out, Tally Hall doesn't exist anymore. So, go ahead and stick that fork in. I'm pretty sure no one is going to stop you.

olwhatshername
Modenator
T.H. Show Count: 5

#4 Post by olwhatshername »

It makes me so nervous that we're even talking about it like this, but of course we have to. I miss my favorite band but I know them well enough to know that they wouldn't purposefully withhold information unless they had to. It might not seem like it right now but they do care about us a lot. When I talked to Rob and Zubin at the Boston Spring show they honestly sounded like they wanted to tell me more but simply couldn't.

I also doubt that Joe has been absent because of "creative differences." I have no idea, but I'm guessing it's because of a personal family/health/whatever issue. I think right now we need to be respectful and supportive and patient.

On the subject of the subpar Spring shows- keep in mind those were the first times that they were playing with Casey. When I saw them in Boston, it was actually the very first time. I thought they did pretty well considering (in fact I looked at it as a unique opportunity). I think Casey has been doing a really great job, too. He's not Joe, but he's awesome in different ways (more friendly and outgoing for one).

In the meantime, look out for Ross's DJ work and Casey's new music and shows. And it's not like they're COMPLETELY invisible right now. Don't they have a show coming up at Williamsburg?

Just have faith! Our boys won't let us down. And if things really go to poo, they'll let us know.

mammals.
:zubin: + :andrew: + :joe: + :rob: + :ross: = :smt049 :smt020 :smt049

Steamlord313
Noob

#5 Post by Steamlord313 »

I'm positive that they're going to come back strong. I've been in communication with Andrew for a while about some MIDIs and covers that I've been working on, and he expressed interest in using one of my MIDIs for some currently undetermined purpose, perhaps to promote their album or something like that. That alone leads me to believe that they've still got a lot up their sleeves. From what I've seen, they've given more signs of continuing than of quitting, so I don't think there's anything to worry about.

joanne
Noob
T.H. Show Count: 0

#6 Post by joanne »

sad it is, but things have changed.
“In order to change the world, I guess a person would have to really get his head together first before he can say anything to the world, to change it.”

Stahi
Noob
T.H. Show Count: 4

#7 Post by Stahi »

olwhatshername wrote:I think Casey has been doing a really great job, too. He's not Joe, but he's awesome in different ways (more friendly and outgoing for one).
Casey is one of the nicest people you'll ever meet. After T.H. got done their set in D.C., I saw him and pointed him out (I think I was the only one to recognize him without the outfit on) and he came over and we just yapped about random stuff for the rest of the night. He bought me three drinks (sodas, actually) and gave me a copy of his music, too. :D

Then when "Love is Here to Stay" was released I got a random Facebook message with a .ZIP file containing the album. :D

Casey rocks.

naturalkatsup
Noob

#8 Post by naturalkatsup »

yes joe left the band :smt022

d㏌oroki
Noob

#9 Post by d㏌oroki »

naturalkatsup wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:34 pm yes joe left the band :smt022
this is the saddest moment in tally hall history :(
Thank you, and goodnight!

Gib
Noob

#10 Post by Gib »

d㏌oroki wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:55 pm
naturalkatsup wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:34 pm yes joe left the band :smt022
this is the saddest moment in tally hall history :(
Well, perhaps not the saddest, but it's definitely on the list.
Gib :redtie: :yellowtie: :silvertie: :bluetie: :greentie:

Landon_And_Emma
Noob

#11 Post by Landon_And_Emma »

Me when Tally Hall comes back and they sing Welcome Back To Tally Hall: Image