New Album in '09?

Discussion about Tally Hall's music

What 3 songs would you most like to hear on the new album?

Inside The Mind of Simon
23%
Maybe In The Night
11%
I'm Gonna Win
8%
Misery Fell
21%
Turn The Lights Off
16%
Time Machine
13%
At Least A Day
3%
Matters
2%
(I Know) It's Just The Same
3%
CLASKARVD (Kazoo Show Opener Song)
No votes

Total votes: 62

coz
Administrator Jerk
T.H. Show Count: 16

New Album in '09?

#1 Post by coz »

Corresponding with the news story I posted today, let's revive that old discussion about our hopes, dreams, and predictions for the next album.

As documented, here are the songs we know about that COULD end up on the next album:
  • Inside The Mind of Simon
  • Maybe In The Night
  • I'm Gonna Win
  • Misery Fell
  • Turn The Lights Off
  • Time Machine
  • At Least A Day
  • Matters (working title, never performed live)
And just for kicks, let's throw in:
  • (I Know) It's Just The Same

I put a poll up so you can vote for your TOP 3 favorites. Discuss till your heart's content below.

EDIT: The Kazoo Show Opener song from their 2006 Blind Pig show has been added, too.
You CAN change your votes if you need.

EDIT2: HOLY CRAAAAAAAAAAAAP!!!!!!!!!! By enabling "re-voting" it deleted all the votes so far. SHEEEEEIIT! im sorry!

marbar15
Noob

Re: New Album in '09?

#2 Post by marbar15 »

I have only heard Misery Fell, I'm Gonna Win, Turn The Lights Off, and I Know (It's Just The Same).
I would be SO ecstatic if all of those ended up on their new album.
:D That metromix interview has me very excited.

coz
Administrator Jerk

#3 Post by coz »

marbar15 wrote:I have only heard Misery Fell, I'm Gonna Win, Turn The Lights Off, and I Know (It's Just The Same).
I would be SO ecstatic if all of those ended up on their new album.
:D That metromix interview has me very excited.
Place your votes, then!
Also, vote for Time Machine. The community orders you. :smt066

DwightTheGreat
Batman

#4 Post by DwightTheGreat »

Well, considering TTLO and MF are the only two new songs that have been played since 06 and are still being played at most gigs, I'm sure those will be on. I'm pretty sure I'm Gonna Win will be on, but not certain. I also hope for At Least A Day.

I voted for Inside the Mind of Simon (the last 3 concerts I've been to, I've talked to Joe about it and he said he wants to work on it ^^), Time Machine (because it's the Ralph Nader of choices, it will never happen, but someone needs to vote for it anyway), and lastly, I voted for Maybe In The Night, because I think that song is beautiful. I think I like it the most out of any of Robs songs, I certainly hope they put it on.

You forgot Break It Down, they had performed it live with revised lyrics (one would assume to make it original)... but I don't think they'll record that one either.

SO, where did you hear about "Matters" and what do you know?

DoctorThunder
A Gentlemen and a Scholar
T.H. Show Count: 2

#5 Post by DoctorThunder »

Time Machine for funsies, I'm Gonna Win because that's been one of their trademark songs for a while, and Simon because I LOVE that song.
From Chatparty!!!:

ChatParty!!!]: MrMoon has entered at 8:38 pm
[DoctorThunder] 8:38 pm: OH NOES
    [MrMoon] 8:38 pm: Yeah that's right.
[charissa] 8:38 pm: HE'S BACK
[cozbaldwin] 8:38 pm: thats so funny
    [MrMoon] 8:38 pm: I am so delighted that you are amused, cozbaldwin.

coz
Administrator Jerk

#6 Post by coz »

DwightTheGreat wrote:You forgot Break It Down, they had performed it live with revised lyrics (one would assume to make it original)... but I don't think they'll record that one either.

You know, it's weird... I don't consider Break It Down to be a Tally Hall song. I considered their brief revival of it to basically be them covering it, for novelty's sake. I just haven't developed the sense that they've brought it into their own.

Matters came up a while ago in the TH forums, Jennie (WHERE ARE YOU, JENNAY?!!?!) mentioned it was a song Joe said he was working on. I have no further comment.

NivekBackwards
T.H. Show Count: 0

#7 Post by NivekBackwards »

Definitely ITMOS, that's become my new favorite as of late.

And this is excellent news. Hopefully the internet show will hold us over for at least a little while until the new cd.

olwhatshername
Modenator
T.H. Show Count: 5

#8 Post by olwhatshername »

Simon, Turn the Lights Off and Maybe in the Night

Simon is so epic
Turn the Lights Off is already basically my favorite song
Maybe in the Night is gorgeous- I bet this will be chosen... it's too well written to NOT be chosen.

But they're all so good. Who knows, maybe most of them will be on there- considering how they did the last album where we had already heard like 75% of all the songs.
:zubin: + :andrew: + :joe: + :rob: + :ross: = :smt049 :smt020 :smt049

olivergringold
Sassy
T.H. Show Count: 9

#9 Post by olivergringold »

In April of 2006 I went to a concert in Michigan where they played both Time Machine and At Least a Day. Coz was there. Coz, I would like to register a complaint against you: You forgot the Christmas-light-adorned suits/kazoo-ridden and voice-distorted show-opener. The CLASKARVD.

coz
Administrator Jerk

#10 Post by coz »

olivergringold wrote:In April of 2006 I went to a concert in Michigan where they played both Time Machine and At Least a Day. Coz was there. Coz, I would like to register a complaint against you: You forgot the Christmas-light-adorned suits/kazoo-ridden and voice-distorted show-opener. The CLASKARVD.
Hello, old friend. I didn't forget about the song. It's melody is etched in my memory. But I didn't think there was the slightest chance it would end up on an album.

olivergringold
Sassy

#11 Post by olivergringold »

coz wrote:Hello, old friend. I didn't forget about the song. It's melody is etched in my memory. But I didn't think there was the slightest chance it would end up on an album.
I know, but they did release Mucka Blucka and Dream as bonus tracks. Besides, as far as I know it doesn't have a title other than "Show Opener," so if they do release it "CLASKARVD" would be as good a name as any so I figured I'd put it out there.

coz
Administrator Jerk

#12 Post by coz »

olivergringold wrote:
coz wrote:Hello, old friend. I didn't forget about the song. It's melody is etched in my memory. But I didn't think there was the slightest chance it would end up on an album.
I know, but they did release Mucka Blucka and Dream as bonus tracks.
Bringing up the options of bonus tracks is an excellent point. I'll add it to the poll -- people SHOULD have the ability to change their votes.

jsadl
Noob

#13 Post by jsadl »

coz wrote:
DwightTheGreat wrote:You forgot Break It Down, they had performed it live with revised lyrics (one would assume to make it original)... but I don't think they'll record that one either.

You know, it's weird... I don't consider Break It Down to be a Tally Hall song. I considered their brief revival of it to basically be them covering it, for novelty's sake. I just haven't developed the sense that they've brought it into their own.

Matters came up a while ago in the TH forums, Jennie (WHERE ARE YOU, JENNAY?!!?!) mentioned it was a song Joe said he was working on. I have no further comment.

Actually titled "Matter," it was only known as a song title, and might've been soon after discarded, years ago…

and hello :bananas:

coz
Administrator Jerk

#14 Post by coz »

jsadl wrote:
coz wrote:

Actually titled "Matter," it was only known as a song title, and might've been soon after discarded, years ago…

and hello :bananas:
Woah.
Do you want your old name back? "-jennnnnie-"
I can reset your password.

coz
Administrator Jerk

#15 Post by coz »

Well we can add two new songs to their list of originals, now, for possibly inclusion on the new album, codenamed:
Never Meant To Know (link)
Sacred Beast (link)

Personally, they sound happier than MMMM songs. Far from the darker sounds we began to hear and were told to expect. I'm going to refrain totally judging these songs until I hear them played as they were intended to be heard, but so far... I'm not hearing anything that's impressing me much with these two.

olwhatshername
Modenator
T.H. Show Count: 5

#16 Post by olwhatshername »

the rhymes are a little cheesy in both of them, but i still think they're GREAT- especially sacred beast. keep in mind, too that they're probably not done polishing these songs. it took them basically three albums before they were done with marvin's.
:zubin: + :andrew: + :joe: + :rob: + :ross: = :smt049 :smt020 :smt049

Bumbling Dragon
The Funk Patrol
T.H. Show Count: 1

#17 Post by Bumbling Dragon »

The two songs are nice and upbeat, but the lyrics of Sacred Beast sound kind of dark to me.

ImCowman
Sid Hoffman
T.H. Show Count: 4

#18 Post by ImCowman »

Hmmm, I can't wait to get a listen. That being said, I've never expressed how much a 2009 new album would completely make my life better in every way.

Just saying.

DwightTheGreat
Batman

#19 Post by DwightTheGreat »

If they actually do get in the studio to record in January, the album will most certainly be out next year. The only reason it took so long last time was because of contract stuff, since they're a new band, and have an internet show, right?

So yes, I'm adding Tally Hall to the list of bands coming out with new albums in 2009 (there's a lot of good ones)

olivergringold
Sassy

#20 Post by olivergringold »

If it's done in time it might be a summer release, but I doubt it. More likely a fall/holiday release.