The Comprehensive, Color-Coded Tally Hall Song List!

Discussion about Tally Hall's music
Mr. Chuckles
Noob

The Comprehensive, Color-Coded Tally Hall Song List!

#1 Post by Mr. Chuckles »

I think that it would be very interesting to make a list of everything that we can think of that we've seen or heard Tally Hall play, whether it be in a studio, in a concert, or outside a concert with a guitar and a bunch of melodicas.
We could possibly even list which songs have recordings of some sort floating around, and which are [s]lost[/s] hidden in the sand of time.
So, I guess to start...
Marvin's Marvelous Mechanical Museum
Good Day*
Greener*
Welcome to Tally Hall*
Taken for a Ride+
The Bidding+
Be Born+
Banana Man*
Just Apathy*
Spring and a Storm~
Two Wuv*
Haiku
The Whole World and You+
13/Ruler of Everything*
Hidden in the Sand*
Mucka Blucka
Dream

Complete Demos
Stationary Love
(I Know It's) Just the Same

Pingry EP
All of My Friends#
Yearbook
Just a Friend

Miscellaneous Demos/Other Songs
Inside the Mind of Simon
L'Frou Jibet
The Gobble Chicken Song

Newer Live Songs
At Least a Day
Break it Down Old Version Video.
I'm Gonna Win# Unplugged Video. Plugged Video.
Maybe in the Night Video.
Misery Fell Video.
Time Machine
Turn the Lights Off Video.

Covers of Other Musicians
Just a Friend (Biz Markie)^
Smile Like You Mean It (The Killers)^
Praise You (Fatboy Slim)
Who Loves the Sun (Velvet Underground)
Freebird (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
Gonna Fly Now (The Rocky Theme Song)
Why Don't We Do It In The Road? (The Beatles)
Baby Got Back (Sir Mixalot)
Blinded By the Light (Bruce Springsteen/Manfred Mann)
To Be With You (Mr. Big)
Just What I Needed (The Cars)

* These songs are also part of Complete Demos.
+ These songs are also part of Pingry EP.
~ I've heard demos of these, but I don't know where from. Anyone know where?
^ These songs are actual studio recordings.
# All of My Friends and I'm Gonna Win are unique in that they're the one song that Tally Hall has made significant lyrical changes to in updating it over the years. Some may consider them two separate songs, but some may also consider them to be different iterations of the same song.

Okay, that's all I can think of. If I'm missing anything, please feel free to add. And let me know if you can think of a better way to organize this list. Right now it's in the "order-in-which-I-thought-of-stuff" pattern.
EDIT #1: Okay, MMMM is now color-coded according to who wrote the songs, as is Misery Fell. Can someone help me with who wrote the other songs?
Last edited by Mr. Chuckles on Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:53 pm, edited 6 times in total.

coz
Administrator Jerk
T.H. Show Count: 16

Re: I'd like to propose a list...

#2 Post by coz »

Seeing as you're only wondering about the demo of SaaS, the demo you heard was one of Joe's preliminary records which he does for many/all of his songs as he works out the compositions before bringing them to the band. Consider it a Joe Hawley demo/home recording.

Also, I am personally uneasy with considering All Of My Friends & I'm Gonna Win two separate songs. I look a one being an updated version of the other, but maybe that's just me.

Finally, off the top of my head, they also covered The Cars: Just What I Needed

Mr. Chuckles
Noob

Re: I'd like to propose a list...

#3 Post by Mr. Chuckles »

coz wrote:Seeing as you're only wondering about the demo of SaaS, the demo you heard was one of Joe's preliminary records which he does for many/all of his songs as he works out the compositions before bringing them to the band. Consider it a Joe Hawley demo/home recording.

Also, I am personally uneasy with considering All Of My Friends & I'm Gonna Win two separate songs. I look a one being an updated version of the other, but maybe that's just me.

Finally, off the top of my head, they also covered The Cars: Just What I Needed
I was wondering what to do with All of My Friends and I'm Gonna Win. I was going to put a thingy next to that and Just a Friend, for songs that have been updated, but then I thought that Just a Friend isn't technically the same kind of updating. I'll go ahead and put something about it.
Also, I was thinking about including who wrote each song, but do you think that would take up too much space and make it cluttered?
EDIT: Never mind, I've got an idea.

coz
Administrator Jerk

Re: The Comprehensive, Color-Coded Tally Hall Song List!

#4 Post by coz »

WHO WROTE WHAT SONG:

Here are the one's I know...

Stationary Love - Cantor
(I Know It's) Just the Same - Horowitz
All of My Friends# - Hawley
Yearbook - Cantor
Inside the Mind of Simon - Hawley
L'Frou Jibet - Hawley
The Gobble Chicken Song - Hawley
Break it Down - Hawley (and maybe more)
I'm Gonna Win# - Hawley
Maybe in the Night - Cantor (98.9% sure)
Misery Fell - Hawley (98.9% sure)
Time Machine - Cantor
Turn the Lights Off - Hawley

DwightTheGreat
Batman

#5 Post by DwightTheGreat »

Rob wrote Maybe In The Night, Andrew wrote Misery Fell and Dream, Joe said that Mucka Blucka just "happened" so, either he wrote it or they were just sitting in a room and fiddling around and it just "happened".

Other than that, I believe you now have all information.

coz
Administrator Jerk

#6 Post by coz »

DwightTheGreat wrote:Rob wrote Maybe In The Night, Andrew wrote Misery Fell
How sure are you on Misery Fell? I seem to remember hearing a song that sounded much like a Horowitz song that ended up being Joe's. And I just can't remember when/where it was confirmed that Andrew wrote it. It very well may have though and I just forget.

olivergringold
Sassy
T.H. Show Count: 9

#7 Post by olivergringold »

I thought it was sort of understood that Misery Fell was Andrew's. In addition to the fact that I think they were asked about this, it also fits in with his style. If you look at the content of WelcomeToNow, namely the pamphlet, it echoes a lot of the themes he put in Misery Fell.

Mr. Chuckles
Noob

#8 Post by Mr. Chuckles »

I was always under the impression that Misery Fell was Andrew's too. I dunno, though.

coz
Administrator Jerk

#9 Post by coz »

olivergringold wrote:I thought it was sort of understood that Misery Fell was Andrew's. In addition to the fact that I think they were asked about this, it also fits in with his style. If you look at the content of WelcomeToNow, namely the pamphlet, it echoes a lot of the themes he put in Misery Fell.
oh, what do YOU know!

Mr. Chuckles
Noob

#10 Post by Mr. Chuckles »

Okay, we've been updated. I went ahead and colored Mucka Blucka for everyone (using black, instead of grey, to indicate Ross, since there's no grey font color), and I colored Break it Down red. If we ever find anything distinctively saying who wrote either of those, I'll change them accordingly.
So, what now? We've got a list of, as far as we can see, everything Tally Hall's played. Where do we go from here?

coz
Administrator Jerk

#11 Post by coz »

Mr. Chuckles wrote:Okay, we've been updated. I went ahead and colored Mucka Blucka for everyone (using black, instead of grey, to indicate Ross, since there's no grey font color), and I colored Break it Down red. If we ever find anything distinctively saying who wrote either of those, I'll change them accordingly.
So, what now? We've got a list of, as far as we can see, everything Tally Hall's played. Where do we go from here?
I don't know, this was YOUR idea! hehehe :lol:

olwhatshername
Modenator
T.H. Show Count: 5

#12 Post by olwhatshername »

what a fantastic resource! coz you should consider putting this up along with maybe a comprehensive list of videos like the one i put on the old boards?
:zubin: + :andrew: + :joe: + :rob: + :ross: = :smt049 :smt020 :smt049

coz
Administrator Jerk

#13 Post by coz »

olwhatshername wrote:what a fantastic resource! coz you should consider putting this up along with maybe a comprehensive list of videos like the one i put on the old boards?
It's a good idea... though I wonder where I would put such a thing? In the FAQ? it would be hard to maintain that so often. At this moment, the forum seems to be the most practical place to keep such things.

DwightTheGreat
Batman

#14 Post by DwightTheGreat »

In the Newer Live Songs, they played a song Andrew wrote and sang a couple of times called At Least A Day, add it if you want. But it's been soo long since they've played it that they may have canned it. I hope not, personally, I think Andrew should sing more... I like his voice.

EDIT:
!PANS HO I just say my status thing was changed from "noob" to "1st Degree Black Bow-Tie"... friggen suhweet.
Thanks Coz!

coz
Administrator Jerk

#15 Post by coz »

DwightTheGreat wrote:In the Newer Live Songs, they played a song Andrew wrote and sang a couple of times called At Least A Day, add it if you want. But it's been soo long since they've played it that they may have canned it. I hope not, personally, I think Andrew should sing more... I like his voice.

EDIT:
!PANS HO I just say my status thing was changed from "noob" to "1st Degree Black Bow-Tie"... friggen suhweet.
Thanks Coz!
it's all about the post counts.

So this is a list of anything and everything they've ever played. At Least A Day must be up there along with the Kazoo Opening Song from the Blind Pig show... or, as Oliver calls it: "Christmas-light-adorned suits/kazoo-ridden and voice-distorted show-opener. The CLASKARVD"

olivergringold
Sassy
T.H. Show Count: 9

#16 Post by olivergringold »

One way to preserve the list (and keep it updated) would be to make it into a sticky. Turning each song name into a link to a post with their lyrics in a separate sticky would be even more useful.

coz
Administrator Jerk

#17 Post by coz »

olivergringold wrote:One way to preserve the list (and keep it updated) would be to make it into a sticky. Turning each song name into a link to a post with their lyrics in a separate sticky would be even more useful.
But unlike the official forums, these threads will last forever. No pruning is done so no stickiness is needed.

DoctorThunder
A Gentlemen and a Scholar
T.H. Show Count: 2

#18 Post by DoctorThunder »

DwightTheGreat wrote:!PANS HO
I said that out loud once and my friends thought it was genius.
From Chatparty!!!:

ChatParty!!!]: MrMoon has entered at 8:38 pm
[DoctorThunder] 8:38 pm: OH NOES
    [MrMoon] 8:38 pm: Yeah that's right.
[charissa] 8:38 pm: HE'S BACK
[cozbaldwin] 8:38 pm: thats so funny
    [MrMoon] 8:38 pm: I am so delighted that you are amused, cozbaldwin.

olwhatshername
Modenator
T.H. Show Count: 5

#19 Post by olwhatshername »

that's right mr. booey your powers are useless here.
:zubin: + :andrew: + :joe: + :rob: + :ross: = :smt049 :smt020 :smt049

Mr. Chuckles
Noob

#20 Post by Mr. Chuckles »

I was thinking about putting links to lyrics, and even to chords, for the songs that there are actually chords posted somewhere for. And for the new live songs, I was going to see which ones I could find videos for, and possibly post a link to the best video for each one.

Also, here's a handy trick. If you search YouTube for "misery fell tally hall," or something to that effect, you don't come up with any videos of the song. HOWEVER, if you know how to use Google to search a specific site, or if you have the Google Toolbar (which can do it for you), use it to search YouTube for the same thing, and you'll come up with a few videos.
EDIT: Actually, those do show up when you just search YouTube now. Maybe I just spelled it wrong the other day. xD
MY TRICK MIGHT STILL WORK, THOUGH.