10/24 CMJ Party

Discuss Tally Hall Shows. Don't forget to write up your summary of the night in the HITS FanJournals, too!
coz
Administrator Jerk
T.H. Show Count: 16

10/24 CMJ Party

#1 Post by coz »

I'm hearing Andrew and Ross DJ'd for a little...

I'm hearing Tally Hall has new songs on their set list. Someone better get some recordings! Dwight is going. He should report back with much news/updates/info.

olwhatshername
Modenator
T.H. Show Count: 5

Re: 10/24 CMJ Party

#2 Post by olwhatshername »

DWIGHT TELL US RIGHT NOOWWWW
:zubin: + :andrew: + :joe: + :rob: + :ross: = :smt049 :smt020 :smt049

steph
saucepot
T.H. Show Count: 10

#3 Post by steph »

I believe we had one new cover and one new song... or maybe two new songs.

Dwight should be reporting soon.

Vests were lovely.

Why wasn't Coz here?
:smt117

coz
Administrator Jerk

#4 Post by coz »

steph wrote:I believe we had one new cover and one new song... or maybe two new songs.

Dwight should be reporting soon.

Vests were lovely.

Why wasn't Coz here?
It was a few hours away.
Kinda during a work day.

I am deathly sick.

zcode7
Noob

#5 Post by zcode7 »

Hey all!

I wasn't able to go to the "official" CMJ show, but I did get to see Tally play at the Rugby store at 99 University Place,NY NY!

The band put on an impressive acoustic show, I was literally 4 inches away from them. I even adjusted the sound for Rob and Joe at one point!

They played two new songs, I'm not sure what they were called but one was about a king and his kingdom, the other one I think was about a girl but I can't really remember. They also played Misery Fell which is really a great song. Other songs they played were Greener, Banana Man, Ruler of Everything, Be Born and Good Day.

My friend Magda took some videos and tons of pictures, if you'd like I'll try to post them on the forum once she gets them up on Facebook.

They were followed by Jukebox the Ghost, I caught their last song "Hold it In", and I have to say I was impressed! I was outside talking with Zubin for most of their set though. Some questions I asked (answers are paraphrased since I can't remember exactly what Zubin said haha):

Will there be a second season of the internet show?

Nobody is really sure of that...seriously nobody knows.

What are you guys up too right now?

They are setting up a new practice space in Brooklyn and working hard on the new album. Ross said they may play a few small shows in New York, but until January or February, we shouldn't expect any major shows and definitely no touring.

Who wrote most of the internet show?

All the band pretty much had an equal part in it, Joe did most of the editing? I think he said.

Will the steamroller ever hit the bubble wrap?

I can't tell you that. (According to Zubin)

Overall, it was a crazy awesome night. It's also worth noting that they played with vests, apparently according to Zubin the vest thing is fairly recent but they're probably going to stick with it. Maybe its worth noting that they all had matching black leather platform shoes (not that high, but noticeable haha).

Hope that was enjoyable for all of you, let me know if you have any further questions.

Viva Tally Hall!

Zach
NY, NY

DwightTheGreat
Batman

#6 Post by DwightTheGreat »

Ok

OOPNFF: Could not get into the first (electric) show, because it was in a bar and today i turned 20 (not 21). Ross tried to get us in, but no luck. Oh well, my friend Paul and I walked around the city, ate amazing Italian food and wandered into a free art exhibit. Later that night they OPENED WITH A NEW SONG! That was amazing.

It was called Sacred Beast, it was written by Joe and it had an island sound to it... Some good lyrics too "We thought love was only nice or mean / Perhaps it's something vaguely in-between". There was also a reoccurring whistling melody, it was a shame i cannot whistle.

They played 7 songs in total they then played Ruler, followed by Misery Fell... it was excellent. They then played Be Born, Good Day and ONE MORE NEW SONG!

The next song was written by Rob and is tentatively called "Never Meant to Know". About 30 seconds in my friend asks me "did they... um... become a christian band?" It's very much like a christian rock band, but it doesn't really talk of God, but a person realizing God. The end of the chorus is catchy enough for to sing repeatedly yesterday: "Who do we think we are? / Everyone plays a part / There are somethings we are never meant to know". It's a very memorable song.

It's clear the new album will be more serious, the first song talks a lot about death, and the second song is about realization. I REALLY can't wait.

Oh and here's the best news, I recorded them, and because it was semi-acoustic, and my camera doesn't suck, you can hear the lyrics PERFECTLY.

OOPFF: Today is my Birthday
OOPFF: Tally Hall gave me the best birthday present ever... 2 new songs.

EDIT: Also, Ross's mum was there and Paul and I were talking to her and we were right in front and we let her in front of us to watch "the boys" (aww). She told us they use to practice at her house and then later I had her sign my shirt. She was very nice. I think she also got a kick out of Paul and I harmonizing in some songs.

DoctorThunder
A Gentlemen and a Scholar
T.H. Show Count: 2

#7 Post by DoctorThunder »

DwightTheGreat wrote:Ok

OOPNFF: Could not get into the first (electric) show, because it was in a bar and today i turned 20 (not 21). Ross tried to get us in, but no luck. Oh well, my friend Paul and I walked around the city, ate amazing Italian food and wandered into a free art exhibit. Later that night they OPENED WITH A NEW SONG! That was amazing.

It was called Sacred Beast, it was written by Joe and it had an island sound to it... Some good lyrics too "We thought love was only nice or mean / Perhaps it's something vaguely in-between". There was also a reoccurring whistling melody, it was a shame i cannot whistle.

They played 7 songs in total they then played Ruler, followed by Misery Fell... it was excellent. They then played Be Born, Good Day and ONE MORE NEW SONG!

The next song was written by Rob and is tentatively called "Never Meant to Know". About 30 seconds in my friend asks me "did they... um... become a christian band?" It's very much like a christian rock band, but it doesn't really talk of God, but a person realizing God. The end of the chorus is catchy enough for to sing repeatedly yesterday: "Who do we think we are? / Everyone plays a part / There are somethings we are never meant to know". It's a very memorable song.

It's clear the new album will be more serious, the first song talks a lot about death, and the second song is about realization. I REALLY can't wait.

Oh and here's the best news, I recorded them, and because it was semi-acoustic, and my camera doesn't suck, you can hear the lyrics PERFECTLY.

OOPFF: Today is my Birthday
OOPFF: Tally Hall gave me the best birthday present ever... 2 new songs.
OOPFF: Merry birthday, Dwight.
From Chatparty!!!:

ChatParty!!!]: MrMoon has entered at 8:38 pm
[DoctorThunder] 8:38 pm: OH NOES
    [MrMoon] 8:38 pm: Yeah that's right.
[charissa] 8:38 pm: HE'S BACK
[cozbaldwin] 8:38 pm: thats so funny
    [MrMoon] 8:38 pm: I am so delighted that you are amused, cozbaldwin.

DwightTheGreat
Batman

#8 Post by DwightTheGreat »

thank you sir!

coz
Administrator Jerk

#9 Post by coz »

Thanks for the big update. Cant wait to see your recordings.
And happy birfday, too.

zcode7
Noob

#10 Post by zcode7 »

Dwight I remember you! Sorry I couldn't be as detailed haha.

DwightTheGreat
Batman

#11 Post by DwightTheGreat »

So you're the guy I met! I'm sorry, I didn't think I caught your name on friday, but it's always nice to meet a fellow fan. Welcome to Tally Hall('s fan forum), Zach!

olwhatshername
Modenator
T.H. Show Count: 5

#12 Post by olwhatshername »

ooooh so cool! let's cross our fingers for more small NYC shows!
:zubin: + :andrew: + :joe: + :rob: + :ross: = :smt049 :smt020 :smt049

DoctorThunder
A Gentlemen and a Scholar
T.H. Show Count: 2

#13 Post by DoctorThunder »

zcode7 wrote:Will the steamroller ever hit the bubble wrap?

I can't tell you that. (According to Zubin)

I can't believe I never saw this in its entirety before.

Sorry if this is ye olde newse.
From Chatparty!!!:

ChatParty!!!]: MrMoon has entered at 8:38 pm
[DoctorThunder] 8:38 pm: OH NOES
    [MrMoon] 8:38 pm: Yeah that's right.
[charissa] 8:38 pm: HE'S BACK
[cozbaldwin] 8:38 pm: thats so funny
    [MrMoon] 8:38 pm: I am so delighted that you are amused, cozbaldwin.

coz
Administrator Jerk

#14 Post by coz »

Yeah their "singles" from THIS often are slightly different from what is on the show. The single for that Beastie Boys sequence, for instance, uses the actual Beastie Boys song whereas THIS used a Tally Hall mockup of a Beastie song.