poo guys...

Just like in the official forums, anything goes at The 8-Ball.
(Introduction Thread included)

Moderators: olwhatshername, coz

olwhatshername
Modenator
T.H. Show Count: 5

poo guys...

#1 Post by olwhatshername »

i'm leaving for college in boston tomorrow.
this community has been pretty damn supportive when i've needed it in the past, so i ask "any advice?"
:zubin: + :andrew: + :joe: + :rob: + :ross: = :smt049 :smt020 :smt049

coz
Administrator Jerk
T.H. Show Count: 16

Re: poo guys...

#2 Post by coz »

First of all, congratulations.
Secondly, you shoulda gone with Swarthmore because then we could .... hang out!

Thirdly, I didn't go to college, so my advice is not to go to college. Look how well I turned out!

No seriously, though.... you'll be fine as far as your studies, I'm sure. My advice would be to focus on them and make them your priority. College is a time to gain higher education and figure out what kind of life you want to lead. It's also a time to grow in so many emotional and spiritual ways. Lots of people experiment with things pertaining to all aspects of life. I urge you to find and keep a balancing act by not depriving yourself of such things, but NOT to go all out and not to find your way into anything illegal. You'll most likely see tons of people put fun and risky behavior as their main priority and they'll spiral out of control, too.

Also, don't let yourself feel any pressure during these years. You'll be fine - but if even at graduation, it's not unusual to still not know what you want to do. Don't freak out if that's the case. The answers to life will come to you naturally. Can't force them.

I'll add more later if I think of anything.
You're a good girl. I don't want the evils of college sucking you under!

DwightTheGreat
Batman

#3 Post by DwightTheGreat »

My ONLY advice would be not to over-work yourself. I'm currently taking 6 classes (19 credits), planning to film some scenes of Much Ado About Nothing for my old high school, working 2 jobs, taking acting classes, writing and probably auditioning for Julius Caesar... Do as I say, not as I do.

DoctorThunder
A Gentlemen and a Scholar
T.H. Show Count: 2

#4 Post by DoctorThunder »

Most importantly is to be yourself.

College is a social place and if you start off on a wrong foot, or try to be something you're not you'll make things very awkward later on down the line.

Studies DO come first, but trust me, there is nothing fun about an all-night study session.

The last thing is a word of advice my father throws around: "Don't sweat the small stuff...and it's all small stuff". If you feel overwhelmed just take a deep breath and relax. If it still feels like it's far too much, then go see someone about it. Knowing when you need help and knowing when to get it is one of the best lessons a person can learn.
From Chatparty!!!:

ChatParty!!!]: MrMoon has entered at 8:38 pm
[DoctorThunder] 8:38 pm: OH NOES
    [MrMoon] 8:38 pm: Yeah that's right.
[charissa] 8:38 pm: HE'S BACK
[cozbaldwin] 8:38 pm: thats so funny
    [MrMoon] 8:38 pm: I am so delighted that you are amused, cozbaldwin.

NivekBackwards
T.H. Show Count: 0

#5 Post by NivekBackwards »

PARTAAAAAY

kidding, study and all that good stuff.

Which school in Boston?

MANDEEZY
The Blanket Imp
T.H. Show Count: 4

#6 Post by MANDEEZY »

1. Get a really good planner.

2. Don't be afraid to start talking to someone sitting next to you in class or the dorms or wherever. Chances are that you'll be waiting for them to say something and they'll be waiting for you to say something, which goes nowhere. A nice icebreaker is asking them if this is the right class. It's also a very good question to ask, regardless.

3. Freshman year in college is a transitional year for everyone. Grad schools and future jobs know this. Therefore, they pretty much overlook freshman year grades. Go for the credits, not the top grades necessarily. Have fun, go out, party, adventure.

4. Don't cave under peer pressure to do whatever it is those Bostonians do in their free time, but don't be afraid to try new things if you've been...uh...curious?

5. TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES AND KEEP A JOURNAL. Document your crazy nights and interesting classes and the people you meet in any way you can. You'll DEFINITELY want to look back on those moments in a few years time.

6. Keep in touch with old friends as much as you can. And your family. you may be having an amazing time being away from home, but your family will be living their normal lives minus you. Remind them you still love them. :D

7. Uh...advertise Tally Hall.

DoctorThunder
A Gentlemen and a Scholar

#7 Post by DoctorThunder »

Looking for an update:

How's college treating people this year?
From Chatparty!!!:

ChatParty!!!]: MrMoon has entered at 8:38 pm
[DoctorThunder] 8:38 pm: OH NOES
    [MrMoon] 8:38 pm: Yeah that's right.
[charissa] 8:38 pm: HE'S BACK
[cozbaldwin] 8:38 pm: thats so funny
    [MrMoon] 8:38 pm: I am so delighted that you are amused, cozbaldwin.

10SNE1?
Noob

#8 Post by 10SNE1? »

My classes don't start until the 15th. I kind of set my schedule up so that I can still go to concerts and make it to class the next day. So I'm really looking forward to the first week.

Zander
Noob

#9 Post by Zander »

I've been a freshman for almost two weeks. Nice stuff ... I've been eating a lot of cereal.

olwhatshername
Modenator

#10 Post by olwhatshername »

hey thanks for the advice everyone! my first week is going really well- i just had my first classes today :D

and to the person who asked- i go to emerson college.
is there someone in this community who lives in boston? i need some tally hall revival in my soul.

NivekBackwards
T.H. Show Count: 0

#11 Post by NivekBackwards »

My friend goes to BC, and I've started trying to get her into TH

So now there's 2 of you in Boston!

olwhatshername
Modenator

#12 Post by olwhatshername »

OMG! this really weird dorky kid in my dorm knows jordan stanley aka nightprowler from online! it's so weird!!!