TV Guide's mVids

General talk about the band and/or Tally Hall news updates
coz
Administrator Jerk
T.H. Show Count: 16

TV Guide's mVids

#1 Post by coz »

Oh man.
Just posted on HITS News is an interview with TV Guide on their internet show mVids.

HITS News wrote: Tally Hall (still donning the vests) talks about their new internet show and performs their songs WELCOME TO TALLY HALL and THE BIDDING.

Watch as they screw up the names and are politely asked which member is "the John Lennon" of them all. Yay! /sarcasm

So... what do you think? They even messed up the spelling in thepermalink:
http://www.hulu.com/watch/36582/mvids-t ... reformance

PREformance, eh?

Look.... I think it's time ol' Coz does a real good interview with Tally Hall. I might ask a couple of your questions if they're really good, so post em here if you're really curious about something. But I won't guarantee anything. Not this time, at least. Perhaps a future "submit questions to Tally Hall and have them answered on HITS" thing could happen.

NivekBackwards
T.H. Show Count: 0

Re: TV Guide's mVids

#2 Post by NivekBackwards »

Yup, really good performance, but the interview was just bad. The questions were all such cliché questions (Sooo... What's it like being part of a record company now? Its nice)

coz
Administrator Jerk

#3 Post by coz »

NivekBackwards wrote:Yup, really good performance, but the interview was just bad. The questions were all such cliché questions (Sooo... What's it like being part of a record company now? Its nice)
Great performances. The harmonies were pretty spot-on. I liked that Andrew was higher up in the mix than usual, too; got to hear more of what he does which tends to be a bit inaudible at times.

marbar15
Noob

#4 Post by marbar15 »

What a sad interview.
It seems like most interviewers don't prepare very well when they interview Tally Hall.
Maybe they think since they aren't super famous that it doesn't matter? I don't know.
I feel like they deserve a really excellent interview though from someone who actually knows something about them.
Therefore, I'm very much in favor of an interview by Coz. :D

olivergringold
Sassy
T.H. Show Count: 9

#5 Post by olivergringold »

NivekBackwards wrote:Yup, really good performance, but the interview was just bad. The questions were all such cliché questions (Sooo... What's it like being part of a record company now? Its nice)
Call me crazy, but I got the opposite impression. When I interviewed them, asking softball questions was more or less required. I went out of my way to make some of them interesting but calling all of them winners would be needless flattery (in addition to being a lie).

As for the performance, it wasn't specifically their fault but I wasn't really impressed. I think some of the sound levels, namely the ratio of instrument-to-voice, were pretty bad. Also, since TH has been so close to these songs for so long it makes sense that they'd want to change up the live performances, but some of the new intonations and pronunciations sound a little grating.

Maybe I'm acting like the old man who wants kids to get off his lawn here, but I wasn't nearly as wowed as I was the last time I saw them perform live (which, in case you ask or in case Atlantic is reading, has been way too long).

But yes, the interviewer had a high-pitched voice, asked obvious questions, and made superficial pop-culture references. The smart money says she feels just as embarrassed as we do; even TV Guide demands good ratings, and even Tally Hall needs to answer new fans' old questions.

DoctorThunder
A Gentlemen and a Scholar
T.H. Show Count: 2

#6 Post by DoctorThunder »

I only heard her say "BLAH BLAH BLAH HEY EVER HEARD OF THE BEATELS THEYRE GOOD."

Really everything else out of her mouth was white noise to me.

And the I agree with Oliver, the sound levels were severely poor. You couldn't hear Joe sing to save your life on my computer.
From Chatparty!!!:

ChatParty!!!]: MrMoon has entered at 8:38 pm
[DoctorThunder] 8:38 pm: OH NOES
    [MrMoon] 8:38 pm: Yeah that's right.
[charissa] 8:38 pm: HE'S BACK
[cozbaldwin] 8:38 pm: thats so funny
    [MrMoon] 8:38 pm: I am so delighted that you are amused, cozbaldwin.

coz
Administrator Jerk

#7 Post by coz »

To clarify, I thought the PERFORMANCE was very good. The singing/harmonies, playing, etc. But I would agree the mix was not to their advantage, particularly Joe's vocal level. But I still maintain my enjoyment in hearing the keyboard louder than usual.

DoctorThunder
A Gentlemen and a Scholar
T.H. Show Count: 2

#8 Post by DoctorThunder »

coz wrote:To clarify, I thought the PERFORMANCE was very good. The singing/harmonies, playing, etc. But I would agree the mix was not to their advantage, particularly Joe's vocal level. But I still maintain my enjoyment in hearing the keyboard louder than usual.
I totally agree with this. The performance was great (I'm still getting used to the vests). I was just saying that whoever mixed it was doing a poor job.

I the level thing ties into the questions. She was asking who John was, and I think whoever answered the tech crew went "crank his level up, he's the going to be the best" (from an objective standpoint, I think they understood that Zubin was the leader. He answered the most questions, if I recall). We all know this is a fallacy to think of about Tally Hall, where pretty much everything is a collaboration.
From Chatparty!!!:

ChatParty!!!]: MrMoon has entered at 8:38 pm
[DoctorThunder] 8:38 pm: OH NOES
    [MrMoon] 8:38 pm: Yeah that's right.
[charissa] 8:38 pm: HE'S BACK
[cozbaldwin] 8:38 pm: thats so funny
    [MrMoon] 8:38 pm: I am so delighted that you are amused, cozbaldwin.

olwhatshername
Modenator
T.H. Show Count: 5

#9 Post by olwhatshername »

I didn't watch the performances because I heard they were mediocre and I'm bored of those songs.

The interview was painful.

"I don't remember your name so can I just call you blue?"

Ew.

"Wait... John Lennon was the only important one in the Beatles?"

Ahhhh
:zubin: + :andrew: + :joe: + :rob: + :ross: = :smt049 :smt020 :smt049

DwightTheGreat
Batman

#10 Post by DwightTheGreat »

the humming for the bidding sounded excellent.

Mr. Chuckles
Noob

#11 Post by Mr. Chuckles »

The interview was fairly attrocious, but I have fun watching those, because then you get to see Tally Hall look all awkward. Don't you think that if you're going into a band, one of the preparation techniques would be to learn the names of the people you're interviewing? Or at the very least, don't tell them, "I forgot your name."
Also, isn't asking them which of them is the "John Lennon" kind of an awkward question? That's like going into a math class and asking "Which one of you kids is the smartest?"

As for the performances, though, they were great, taking into consideration that it wasn't anything that we haven't seen before. I do believe, however, that it was the first high-quality video performance of "The Bidding" that I've ever seen, so that was nice, but I think it's high time they started playing new stuff on TV. Or at least "Spring and a Storm."