POLL: Mobile Version of HITS?

Anything about hiddeninthesand.com goes here

Moderators: olwhatshername, coz

What do you think about a mobile version of HITS?

I'd TOTALLY use it every day!
22%
I have no need for it.
56%
Might be nice but definitely not necessary.
22%

Total votes: 9

coz
Administrator Jerk
T.H. Show Count: 16

POLL: Mobile Version of HITS?

#1 Post by coz »

With the ever-growing sales of mini-blinds. NO, wait......

With the ever-growing sales of smartphones, people are browsing the web on their phones more and more.
Would you benefit from a mobile version of HITS? Or do you just plain think it's a good idea? Lemme know!

olivergringold
Sassy
T.H. Show Count: 9

Re: POLL: Mobile Version of HITS?

#2 Post by olivergringold »

Picsel Browser and Opera Mini can both render HITS just fine. If you coded a mobile version for pocket IE that would be nice for people who only have that browser, but the next version of pocket IE is said to compete with Safari Mobile, which presumably renders HITS just as well as Opera Mini or Opera Mobile.

If you think that the effort of recoding your entire site is outweighed by the temporary convenience given to people who've owned smartphones between yesteryear and the eventual release of WM7, it would certainly be a welcomed convenience. If I were in your position, though, I'd take the position that Muhammad should bring the mountain to him. In other words, just wait for Microsoft to catch up to Apple and Opera.

coz
Administrator Jerk
T.H. Show Count: 16

#3 Post by coz »

I see what you're saying, but while the rendering is fine (IE even renders it fine for me on WM6) I was more thinking on the lines of it loading QUICKLY. And... conveniently. HITS is so huge, it takes a while to load and theres a lot of scrolling around.

It wouldnt take much coding at all, I don't think. Remember, most of HITS content is fed in. So, I'd just create a page where it's all content and very little graphics.

olivergringold
Sassy
T.H. Show Count: 9

#4 Post by olivergringold »

I'm on a 3G network so long loading times aren't really something I think about on a day-to-day basis using my mobile to surf the web...it's almost as fast as my parents' DSL connection.

In any event, if you wanted to make a slim-and-trim version of HITS, I'd call it HITS lite instead of HITS mobile, and make it accessible to desktop/laptop users as well.

olwhatshername
Modenator
T.H. Show Count: 5

#5 Post by olwhatshername »

i has no phone wiv intarwebs
:zubin: + :andrew: + :joe: + :rob: + :ross: = :smt049 :smt020 :smt049