Old MMMM vs new MMMM

Discussion about Tally Hall's music
mattgcn
Noob

Old MMMM vs new MMMM

#1 Post by mattgcn »

This is an old problem of mine that I never got a new solution to, and as such, I STILL DON'T OWN MMMM. Horrible, yes. The problem is I still haven't actually given the new MMMM a front-to-back listen and I figured that if I wanted to buy it it would be easier to find this version. BUT I love the old MMMM so much and some of the song mixes seem a good bit different.

So a question: What exactly is different with the new release.
Also: On iTunes it says 2005 as release date, is that the old one or new one (not that I'd ever buy digital. If I'm paying money I want more than what I nab for free)

DwightTheGreat
Batman

Re: Old MMMM vs new MMMM

#2 Post by DwightTheGreat »

To tell the truth, there's not a huge difference but mixing. The one on itunes is the new one, they just use the original release date for some reason. The thing is, they were given a chance to fix anything they weren't happy with, so they took it, since it's a rare opportunity. They tweaked the mixing with probably better technology than they originally used, re-recorded some songs, and added random parts to other songs, as well as turned up parts that were hard to hear originally (again, mixing).

The thing with '08 Marvin's is that it was what they could do with more experience, more time to think about the songs, and excellent technology, so I would assume that it's closer to their artistic vision than the original was.

olwhatshername
Modenator
T.H. Show Count: 5

#3 Post by olwhatshername »

i personally like the old M4 better... maybe it's just what i'm more used to? some of the new M4 just sounds overworked to me.
:zubin: + :andrew: + :joe: + :rob: + :ross: = :smt049 :smt020 :smt049

mattgcn
Noob

#4 Post by mattgcn »

Yeah that's the idea I got from it.. Listening to the new ones, mostly through the web videos, felt weird.

Maybe they'd grow on me if I bought it and listened to it more?

NivekBackwards
T.H. Show Count: 0

#5 Post by NivekBackwards »

Some songs I like more on M41, like The Bidding, and some I like more on M42 (Ruler of Everything)

mattgcn
Noob

#6 Post by mattgcn »

wrhrggrgrhg decisions decisions.

I think I'd be best off just buying the damn thing. Now to get my CD store to be able to find it to order (they weren't able to in like.. June)

Mr. Chuckles
Noob

#7 Post by Mr. Chuckles »

There are only two things I can honestly say I don't like about the new version of Marvin's. The first is "Just Apathy," wherein all of the pretty instrumental stuff (such as the little piano intro, and a small bridge before the second verse) have been removed, as well as the backing vocals at the very end in one part. The second, which is just me being nitpicky and dumb, is that I can't play along to "Ruler" anymore, due to it now being in the key of Eb-and-a-half.
Other than that, everything's either for the better (Andrew's opening vocals in "Taken" actually being understandable now), just kind of indifferently different (the "Bung Vulchango" introduction in Banana Man, which is now said in a slightly less absurd, slightly less British accent), or just not really different at all (the other stuff).
I remember, right before the new version came out, I was hopeful that there would be somewhat drastic changes to songs, like sticking the "Tissues get used..." section back into "Greener," or putting the "Mechanical hands" verse back in "Ruler," or possibly even putting a different solo in "Be Born" that would sound more like the one Joe whistles nowadays, but alas, it was all mostly the same. Whatever, I still can't complain.
Yay! Slant rhyme!

olwhatshername
Modenator
T.H. Show Count: 5

#8 Post by olwhatshername »

sometimes i forget about how scholarly we all are sometimes when it comes to this band.
:zubin: + :andrew: + :joe: + :rob: + :ross: = :smt049 :smt020 :smt049